Thursday, June 9, 2011

Leaving the Nest

     Where do you want to go to college?  Where did your parents attend college?  What do you want to major in?  Do you want to be close to home?  As a high school student, particularly a junior or senior, you probably answer these questions on a daily basis.  When you think about all these things as factors of that "perfect school for you.'' it can be quite overwhelming.
     I know before attending the journalism workshop here at USM, I had a vague idea of where my life was going after graduation.  Everyday, my goals and plans changed.  I had the idea of journalism in my mind, but it shared the spotlight with my many other alternative future plans.  Just from the first two days at Southern, I've realized that journalism is probably the closest I'll get to my perfect career.  Learning about all the variety journalism offers has certainly widened my views on the field and what it has to offer. 
     If my lack of settling on a career wasn't enough indication, I consider myself to be somewhat of a transient.  In other words, I can't make up my mind.  I also get bored very easily, and after hearing the panel of professional journalist today I don't think I'd ever be bored in journalism.  You have to know how to do every job  because you never know what will be waiting on you one day to another.  
     As a whole, my experience here at USM has been one of treasured memories.  I have met so many people who I admire and have found out a lot about myself.  I feel ready to be successful in my senior year and even more prepared to graduate.  It is also a tremendous relief to have a semi-stable idea of what I want to do in my life.  If you are also a senior, or on your way there, explore you options and this frightening idea of leaving the nest will soon be one more of excitement than fear! 

No comments:

Post a Comment